Sunday 23 August 2009

Not needed

Most of this blog is about things I don’t have, but Wipso has set me the challenge of compiling a list of things I do have – but don’t need.

It made me feel quite smug because, a few years ago, my husband and I downsized – drastically. We sold our house, sold or gave away nearly all its contents (couldn’t believe we had so much stuff) and put only our most prized personal possessions into storage while we took a gap year to go travelling. When we returned we bought a much smaller house and vowed to keep it clutter-free.

So I didn’t think I had anything I don’t need – until I started looking. Here’s the list:

A cold (not as bad as flu, but more than a sniffle and I hope it goes soon)
Grey hairs (why does nature advertise our age so obviously?)
Clothes that don’t fit me (but they might – one day)
Piles of old magazines
Last week’s Sunday paper (haven’t read it yet)
Dust (where does it all come from?)
An empty chocolate box (the chocolates were delicious and the box too pretty to throw away, but I haven’t found another use for it yet)
Too many bright ideas (well, I think they’re bright!)
All my rejected stories (waiting to be re-written and sent out again)
Egg cups
My old film camera (I might use it again – or keep it until it’s a valuable antique)
An odd sock (it would be terrible to throw it out and then discover its long-lost partner!)

8 comments:

Lillian Robinson said...

We seem to have similar lists, but I suppose many could say the same. Oh, if that were the only not-needed stuff I had. Perhaps you could use the pretty candy box to store the extra dust and gray hairs in...

Annie said...

Well, thats the first half :-) It should be a list of have and don't need AND a list of need but don't have. Maybe you are like me and need for nothing much :-)

Libertine said...

Your list would fit into mine, however I am desperately in need of a clearance. You made me look around I have drawers and shelves full of, as I call them "I-might-need-its"...

Friko said...

yes, very much the sort of things I'll be throwing out when I finally get round to doing Wipso's list. Although I might have thrown out the chocolate box; I love chocolate and it's better not to have any reminders in the house.

SquirrelQueen said...

My list is very similar to yours including the film camera. I just can't bring myself to get rid of my first SLR, it would be like giving away a child.

The odd sock, use it as a dust mitt and if the other one turns up give it the same fate.

Celeste Maia said...

I laughed with your lists! After reading Friko's and Wipso's, yours are very good too. I have also been reading your past entries and wanted to say what an interesting blog you have.

Linda D said...

Sorry, Wipso, missed the other list - what do I need and not have? A lot more hours in the day!

Great idea for odd socks, SQ!

Thanks, Celeste - and welcome!

prashant said...

thats the first half :-) It should be a list of have and don't need AND a list of need but don't have. Maybe you are like me and need for nothing much Work From Home